The CGT labour condemned the US company’s largest logistic centre in Spain and said the move to not renew the temporary workers’ contracts was politically motivated.
Workers first went on strike on March 21 and 22, but some turned up to work out of fear of reprisals.
Now, just days before the next strike, more than 100 employees at the San Fernando de Henares centre, near Madrid, have been let go.
Employees have also complained that the company usually gives an early notice when there’s going to be layoffs, but that this time ‘silence reigned.’
“Not Friday night, not Saturday, neither Sunday: it’s been this morning (Monday). The Whatsapp groups are on fire because our colleagues have been confirming their dismissals,” one worker said.
In their defense, the e-commerce firm said they hire temporary workers to handle high demand seasons, and then turn their contracts into permanent ones if possible.
“Precisely due to this seasonal nature, it’s not possible to turn all contracts into indefinite ones. “Since the beginning of our operations in Spain, we have turned hundreds of temporary contracts into permanent ones,” said a spokesperson, adding that the mass firing happened due to a drop in demand.
But workers that have been in the company for a while argue that such layoffs are unusual for this time of year, dismissing Amazon’s ‘excuses’.
The employees claimed the company is trying to cheapen labour, eliminate guarantees for a salary increase and get rid of protection clauses in case of temporary disability.
Workers are now planning strikes on the company’s busiest days, including Black Friday.
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40