According to the National Geographic Institute, the quake, with an epicentre in Gaucin, took place at 13:13, some 12km under the ground.
The quake was felt in Gaucin, Ronda and parts of Cadiz, with noticeable tremors.
According to the fire service, there has been no significant structural damage reported.
In Algatocín, a secondary school, Instituto de Enseñanza Secundaria (IES) ‘Valle del Genal’ has been evacuated as part of earthquake protocol.
Mayor Pedro Godino said classes have been suspended after part of the roof was damaged.
The CPB of Malaga has received many calls, mostly from Algatocín, Benaoján and Jimera de Líbar, from residents demanding information and warning of ‘considerable movement’.
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23