A BRITISH female athlete has died after competing in the IronMan tournament in Marbella.
The competitor was rescued from the sea and rushed to the Costa del Sol Hospital after suffering a heart attack on Sunday.
She was reportedly taking part in the swimming race, which makes up one of the three gruelling long-distance events in the competition in Puerto Banus, at the time of the incident.
She died in the Costa del Sol Hospital on Monday.
It is believed the triathlete, who has not been identified, was brain dead from the moment she collapsed until she died today.
The IronMan competition started off with a 1,900m swim in the sea, followed by a 90km cycle through various towns in the province of Malaga and finished with a 21km half marathon.
It attracted some 2,500 athletes from all over the world and opened the European circuit, allowing athletes to compete for 50 places in the World Championship in South Africa in September.
The winner was Briton, David MacNamee and the first woman to cross the finish line was Laura Philipp from Germany.
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- EXCLUSIVE: Seriously ill Brit spent Christmas and New Year locked up with terrorists in southern Spain and has STILL not been charged with crime - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 10:01
- Extreme-right party Vox ‘will not support’ Partido Popular and Ciudadanos in Andalucia government unless gender violence law revoked - 3 Jan, 2019 @ 18:55