DOZENS of protests are planned across Spain today to demand better working conditions.
Organised by the country’s main labour unions UGT and CCOO, the more than 70 demonstrations will call for gender equality, better jobs and decent pensions.
CCOO chief Unai Sordo, asked ‘for the streets to fill up with people in order to shake up the comfort zone that [employers’ associations] CEOE and Cepyme are basking in thanks to the government’s labor reform.’
Rallies are already underway in Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Sevilla and Zaragoza.
“We are aware that street mobilizations are the leverage that enables policy changes,” said Pepe Álvarez, secretary general of UGT.
“Spain hasn’t been in a situation like this in a long time,” he added, alluding to recent protests over pensions and gender equality.
It comes after the CCOO and UGT warned in April that unless something is done to improve wages and reduce precariousness, there will be social unrest.
It comes as Spain continues to be the fastest growing economy in the eurozone, which unions say is not being reflected in the lives of ordinary citizens.
“We are starting to see indignation, anger and impotence. Either growth is shared out, or there’s going to be conflict,” warned union bosses last month.
Spain’s third-largest union, USO, said it will seek pay raises based on the CPI cost-of-living index plus four percentage points.
“They’re selling us the story of an economic recovery that is not reaching the workers,” said USO leader Joaquín Pérez.
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15