STEPHEN Lawrence murder suspect Jamie Acourt has been arrested in Spain after being on the run for two years.
The 41-year-old was swarmed by armed police at Barcelona airport in connection with a €4.5 million marijuana plot.
He was captured as part of Operation Captura, an initiative between the UK’s National Crime Agency, Crimestoppers and Spanish police.
Acourt will appear before a judge in Madrid next week for an extradition hearing.
“Acourt thought he could evade capture, but as a result of an intelligence-led operation his days on the run have ended,” said Ian Cruxton, head of the NCA’s International operations.
Acourt is alleged to have been involved in the murder of Stephen Lawrence in April 1993.
A gang hurled racial abuse at Lawrence before stabbing him fatally in London.
Acourt has never stood trial for his alleged involvement in the murder.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03