A LEADING Marbella expat has secured the speaker of a lifetime at a high profile climate change conference.
International wine expert, Pancho Campo, has confirmed Barack Obama for this summer’s Climate Change Leadership Porto Summit on July 6 in Portugal.
This will be the fourth climate change conference Chilean native, Campo, has organised with the former three taking place in Spain with a focus on the wine industry.
The Marbella-based businessman told the Olive Press his main goal is to ‘empower people’.
“We want to engage them to do something at their own level. It’s up to each of us.
“Whether you are a student, a politician or a CEO, put into practice what Obama and the others are going to tell you,” urged Campo.
The entrepreneur became passionate about the subject 15 years ago after witnessing first hand the effects of climate change on skiing trips and ‘unbearably hot’ summers in Florida.
After carrying out extensive scientific research for his thesis, the ‘worrying’ data compelled him to take action by organising the first Climate Change and Wine conference.
“It was a big flop because in 2006 nobody believed in climate change. I was very disappointed,” he added.
But in 2008 he managed to secure former US Vice President Al Gore as a speaker, who had just won an oscar and a Nobel Peace Prize for his documentary about climate change, which earnt the Barcelona event worldwide recognition.
And this year’s summit was ‘very well received’ by Obama, who will be joined by other pioneering experts and campaigners in the sector at the 3,000 seated Porto Coliseum.
President Obama made climate change and investments in the green economy
one of his priorities during his administration.
At a U.N. Climate Change Summit, Obama, said: “There’s one issue that will define the contours of this century more dramatically than any other, and that is the urgent and growing threat of a changing climate.”
Campo added: “Climate change is happening. People have to start acting immediately, they cannot wait any longer.”
Information about how to gain access to the event will be available from Monday May 7 at www.climatechange-porto.com
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- EXCLUSIVE: Seriously ill Brit spent Christmas and New Year locked up with terrorists in southern Spain and has STILL not been charged with crime - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 10:01
- Extreme-right party Vox ‘will not support’ Partido Popular and Ciudadanos in Andalucia government unless gender violence law revoked - 3 Jan, 2019 @ 18:55