EMBATTLED business mogul Tolo Cursach has confirmed that he will reopen his Megasport gym after former employees and members protested.
More than 500 people took to the streets of Palma to demand the nightclub boss reconsider his decision, explaining he had ‘left them in the street’.
Cursach had been ordered to shut down one of the gym’s buildings, including a pilates room, a spa and weights room, as well as other areas which did not have the correct licenses.
As a result, Cursach argued that the reduced capacity – from 1,550 to 1,483 members at a time – no longer made the facility profitable.
“There is no margin left to maintain it,” claimed a spokesman.
The closures came after complaints from members at the club, which was the biggest in Mallorca with 9,000 members
One Maties Mateu said: “The extension is a mousetrap and if there had been a fire, I don’t even want to think what would have happened to the people passing through… and the emergency exits that were so badly done.”
However, former staff members reacted angrily to the news, stating that there had been no guarantees given over their wages or any severance package.
Following the protest – under the banner of ‘victims of corruption’ – a spokesperson confirmed that necessary adaptations would be made to the gym.
He added it would then re-open whether that would take ‘one month, six months, one year’.
- Activists propose daily tax for Balearic cruise ship passengers - 26 May, 2018 @ 21:02
- Branson embraces Balearic life while Necker Island is rebuilt - 26 May, 2018 @ 18:44
- Chinese film industry eyes up purchase of Spanish locations - 26 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- Podemos leader faces confidence vote after ‘luxury’ home purchase - 26 May, 2018 @ 12:13
- Stunning Kensington pine walk property goes on the market in Pollensa - 25 May, 2018 @ 17:13
- Magaluf hit-and-run Brit is younger sister of expat drug lord - 25 May, 2018 @ 13:13
- Balearic president to meet with airlines to safeguard resident discounts - 25 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- Airport group goes public with concerns over transporting drunk passengers - 24 May, 2018 @ 16:44
- British tourists warned over balcony antics in new safety video - 24 May, 2018 @ 14:37
- British bar managed arrested over the death of Northern Irish tourist in Magaluf - 24 May, 2018 @ 12:33