THE number of reported rapes in Spain increased by 28.4% in the first three months of this year, reveals official new data.
Figures released by the Interior Ministry on Thursday show a significant rise in ‘sexual assault with penetration’ from January to March this year.
Police received 371 complaints during the time period – an average of more than four a day.
Andalucia was one of the regions with the highest amount of rape reports.
Catalonia saw a total of 110 reports during the three months, Madrid received 62, while Andalucia recorded 41.
It seems more victims are coming forward in increasing numbers following the #Cuentalo and #Metoo movements.
It comes after the highly controversial ruling of the ‘wolf pack’ gang rape attack, in which the five defendants were cleared of rape for a lesser charge of sexual assault.
It triggered a Spanish and Latin American #MeToo movement, with women tweeting their experiences of sexual assault using the hashtag #Cuentalo, in solidarity with the victim.
During the three months, the report revealed a staggering 3,025 crimes against sexual freedom, such as rape and other forms of sexual violence.
This means reported cases saw an almost 14% increase from the same time period in 2017.
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- EXCLUSIVE: Seriously ill Brit spent Christmas and New Year locked up with terrorists in southern Spain and has STILL not been charged with crime - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 10:01
- Extreme-right party Vox ‘will not support’ Partido Popular and Ciudadanos in Andalucia government unless gender violence law revoked - 3 Jan, 2019 @ 18:55