NEWBORN Iberian Lynx cubs have passed their first health check with flying colours in Cadiz.
The cute cubs, which are the world’s most endangered feline species, were born just under two months ago at Jerez Zoo.
This will be the fourth time the cub’s parents have welcomed a litter at the zoo, with their previous offspring now living in the wild.
It is expected these cubs will also be released once they are old enough.
It comes as a great relief as the Iberian Lynx was facing extinction at the beginning of the 2000s, with only 100 adult cats and 25 breeding females in the world, living in southern Spain.
The birth of the cubs is part of a reproduction project, LIFE Iberlince, set up by the Spanish government, the European Union and various global conservation NGOs.
Thanks to the conservation scheme, the species has been recovered from the brink of extinction, with its status downgrading to ‘endangered’.
Now, just over 400 cats live in the Mediterranean forests on the Iberian Peninsula, with the vast majority in Andalucia.
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- EXCLUSIVE: Seriously ill Brit spent Christmas and New Year locked up with terrorists in southern Spain and has STILL not been charged with crime - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 10:01
- Extreme-right party Vox ‘will not support’ Partido Popular and Ciudadanos in Andalucia government unless gender violence law revoked - 3 Jan, 2019 @ 18:55