SPANISH authorities have broken up one of the ‘biggest’ hashish drug smuggling rings in the Campo de Gibraltar.
It is estimated the drug ring brought more than 10,000 kilograms of hashish from Morocco to Spain.
12 people have been arrested, while €190,000 in cash was seized along with a gun, ammunition, a bulletproof vest and ‘high-end vehicles’.
It comes after the Guardia Civil was involved in a dangerous high-speed car chase with the drug smugglers in San Roque in Cadiz last month.
After realising there was nowhere to turn the criminals attacked the officers, leaving two of them hospitalised.
The driver was arrested and 843 kilograms of hashish was found in the van.
Following the attack, officials discovered the gang had chartered a RHIB to pick up hashish from Morocco.
The Guardia Civil then raided a house linked to the traffickers in La Linea de la Concepcion, which was storing 4,200 kilograms of hashish. A person was arrested and a gun was seized.
Earlier this month searches were carried out across various towns in La Linea, where 10 people were arrested, along with wetsuits, radio transmitters and two plastic bags containing wads of €20 and €10 notes worth almost €190,000.
Officials believe the organisation was ‘one of the most active’ gangs dedicated to drug-trafficking in the Campo de Gibraltar.
- Madrid bans old cars from city centre in CRACKDOWN on pollution - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Banksy gets ‘Banksied’ as gallery in Spain exhibits art without his permission - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 16:00
- Spain to banish 5000 pigeons from Cadiz for menacing tourists - 15 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Brits to pay €7 to travel to EU countries after Brexit - 14 Dec, 2018 @ 17:58
- Why a ‘new’ British vegan milk has outraged Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 17:37
- Let’s talk mental health: Why teenage suicide in UK and Spain is on the rise and what parents can do to help - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain SLAMMED by US official for making ‘no effort’ to return Nazi-looted art from WW2 - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 13:00
- British government accused of not protecting expats and EU citizens’ rights as no-deal Brexit ‘still a possibility’ - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 14:07
- Desperate wife of British expat who mysteriously vanished from Costa del Sol FOUR days ago reveals more details as search continues - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 12:41
- Taxi driver who raped British tourist on Costa del Sol sentenced to seven years in prison - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 11:38