THE PSOE are close to having the votes they need to oust Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy at this Friday’s no-confidence vote.
Separatist MPs in Catalunya are likely to side with the Socialists when its leadership meets in Barcelona tonight.
According to people close to the discussions, Basque Nationalists are planning to follow the lead of the Catalans when they decide which way they will swing on Thursday morning.
If both join the PSOE in voting to remove Rajoy, they will join left-wing Podemos and have enough votes for Socialist leader Pedro Sanchez to take power.
A source told press PP leaders are starting to see defeat as the most likely outcome.
The only scenario in which the Basques would not join the PSOE would be if the Catalan separatists backed away at the last minute.
A person close to the Catalans’ leadership said such a decision was very unlikely, even though the outcome hasn’t been set in stone.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16