SPAIN has rejected a charity boat ferrying 230 migrants, saying it cannot be the ‘sea rescue organisation for all of Europe’.
Pedro Sanchez, the new Socialist prime minister, said there must be a ‘common answer’ to the growing crisis and that it must come from ‘various countries’ in the EU.
The ship is now heading to Malta.
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said his country would take in some of the migrants.
Although it comes after his deputy prime minister, Matteo Salvini, tweeted that Italy had stopped an ‘invasion’ after forcing two charity boats to dock elsewhere.
Spain took in 630 migrants from the Gibraltar-registered Aquarius ship earlier this month after Malta and Italy refused.
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15