AN Irish 5-year-old boy is in intensive care after being hit by a drink driver at a pedestrian crossing in Catalunya.
The child is believed to be stable at Hospital Joan XXIII in Tarragona, after being injured in a hit-and-run in the resort of Salou on Monday night.
The vehicle which hit the boy was an official Mediterranean Games Tarragona 2018 car, however a spokesperson for the competition said the driver was working for an external company and was not working during the time of the incident.
Reportedly the driver had failed a breath test and later turned himself in to officials just before midnight.
A spokesperson expressed their ‘deep regret’ over the incident.
The Mediterranean Games is a multi-sport competition which takes place every four years, involving 26 nations.
Irish embassy officials in Spain are currently offering assistance to the boy’s family.
- Meet the British expat stars of Channel 5’s new hit show ‘Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun’ - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 11:00
- Caged ISIS terrorist was planning to bomb popular fair on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00