THE Spanish government has agreed to restore a policy offering free fertility treatment to lesbians and single women.
Mariano Rajoy’s conservative government took away the benefit in 2014, which was previously available to those groups.
The agreement comes as Madrid celebrated LGBTQ+ Pride month last weekend.
Following its approval at a cabinet meeting on Friday, the measure is set to come into effect from January 2019.
“Today the misogyny is over,” tweeted Minister for Equality, Soledad Murillo.
It is just the latest socialist measure Pedro Sanchez’s new government has announced following his first month in power.
The move could help towards increasing birth rates in Spain, which has one of the lowest in Europe.
Last year the total number of births were outnumbered by the number of deaths, at its fastest speed in almost eight decades.
- Meet the British expat stars of Channel 5’s new hit show ‘Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun’ - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 11:00
- Caged ISIS terrorist was planning to bomb popular fair on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00