IT could become ‘illegal’ to pay private pensions to British expats living in Spain if the UK exits the EU without a deal, MPs have been told.
Retired expats living in Spain who receive payments into their bank accounts in their adopted countries would be left without any money in a no-deal Brexit scenario.
The Association of British Insurers (ABI) claim expats living in the EU ‘might find that they couldn’t be paid their pension’, reported The Independent.
Director General of ABI, Huw Evans, said: “That is a perfectly plausible risk in the future of no agreement is reached in some countries of the EU.”
It comes as Theresa May is desperately defending her Chequers plan from attacks by factions of her own party as she tries to sell it to the EU.
Meanwhile, senior ministers are attempting to draw up new trade deals in Europe.
Evans also noted that tourists would be forced to pay higher rates for holiday insurance as they would lose EU health cards.
He added that a shocking 38 million contracts could be left in ‘legal limbo’ as it would become illegal to pay claims in EU countries.
However, Evans urged that he wanted to “avoid panic” and added that this would not be the case in all EU countries, if the UK were to exit with a no-deal scenario.
- Meet the British expat stars of Channel 5’s new hit show ‘Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun’ - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 11:00
- Caged ISIS terrorist was planning to bomb popular fair on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00