Thanks to a hot air blast from the Sahara in Africa, the mercury is expected to reach 48C in parts of Andalucia today and a European record of 50C in Portugal.
It comes after a highway maintenance worker collapsed from heat stroke and died in Murcia yesterday.
The hottest regions in Europe will be around Sevilla and the Algarve in Portugal, with temperatures around 48C and 50C predicted.
Europe’s current all-time temperature record is 48.0C, set on July 10, 1977 in Athens, Greece, while Spain’s record is 47.3C, set in Cordoba last summer, and Portugal’s record is 47.4C, set in 2003.
Ex-BBC and Met Office forecaster John Hammond said: “Hell is (now) a place on Earth. Iberia is heating up to a potential 50C.”
Some 40 of Spain’s 50 provinces are on red alert, which means there is a serious threat to life.
Met Office forecaster Richard Miles told the Daily Star: “48C is the most realistic maximum temperature in inland Spain and Portugal, but there’s a chance it could be hotter. People on holiday should be careful in the heat.”
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16