You know you’ve gone native when you catch yourself singing the Mercadona jingle, writes Laura Wood of Grapevine Properties
- You consider it totally normal for shops to close between 2pm-5pm
Before the idea of life closing down between 2pm and 5pm seemed like a ridiculous notion. Now however, you plan your whole day around shop opening times.
2. You know the Mercadona jingle.
You know it, you’ve hummed it and, let’s face it; you’ve probably sung it out loud in the supermarket isles. Someone has merely got to say the word “Mercadona” and you can guarantee someone to chant that ever so catchy jingle.
3. You know the day feria is way better than the night feria
The night feria is for children, and you know that actually the real fun really goes down during the feria de día. Those mojitos though…
4. Mastering the tortilla de patatas has become a major part of your life
Practice makes perfect, and this delicious dish is a lot hard to master than it may seem.
5. You think tostadas con tomate with a café con leche is actually the perfect breakfast
Whilst tourists are hankering over a bacon and egg sandwich, you’d prefer nothing better than toasts with tomatoes, olive oil and a sprinkling of salt. All this accompanied by a café con leche, of course.
6. Speaking of café con leche, you always order it in a glass and not a mug
There’s no better way to enjoy a Spanish coffee than in a tall glass. The glass rim always burns your fingers, but the coffee itself somehow tastes so much better this way. Why this is, we will never know.
7. You get irritated with mispronunciations of words like Paella and Chorizo
You cringe a little inside when you hear people on the telly mispronouncing these words. You’ve probably heard the word Chorizo being said in around 5 different ways, none of which correct.
8. Mañana, Mañana, Mañana
Mañana isn’t just ‘tomorrow’ in Spanish; it’s a way of life. This relaxed manner that once irritated you, has actually grown on you overtime until it eventually has become one of the most endearing qualities of Spanish people.
9. Even though you live 30 minutes from the sea, you rarely go to the beach
You tell yourself “I’ll go to the beach all the time!” But in reality, why cover yourself in sand when most inland properties have a private pool?
10. Tinto de verano is your perfect summer drink
Literally translated into ‘summer wine’, you know there is nothing more refreshing on a hot summers day than a mix of red wine and casera/fantalimón over ice.
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36