A BRITISH expat has miraculously survived after falling from a cruise ship and having to tread water for ten hours before being rescued.
Kay Longstaff, who lives on the Costa del Sol, fell overboard the Norweigan Star in Pula, Croatia, on Saturday night.
The 46-year-old, who lives in Benalmadena, had to spend the night treading water before she was rescued some 60 miles off the Croatia coast.
The former flight attendant for Virgin Atlantic is said to have relied upon her incredible stamina that can be attributed to her yoga practice.
She was eventually pulled from the water at around 9.30am local time yesterday around 1,300 metres from where she plunged into the 20c water.
One of her rescuers said: “She said the fact that she practices yoga helped her as she was fit.
“And she said she was singing to not feel cold in the sea overnight”.
The Norwegian Star cruise ship was heading from Croatia to Venice, Italy.
Kay was discharged from Pula hospital with no serious repercussions.
A spokesperson for the Norwegian Cruise Line said: “In the morning of August 19, a guest went overboard as Norwegian Star made her way to Venice.
“The Coast Guard was notified and a search and rescue operation ensued. We are pleased to advise that the guest was found alive, is currently in stable condition, and has been taken ashore in Croatia for further treatment.
“We are very happy that the individual, who is a UK resident, is now safe and will soon be reunited with friends and family.”
CCTV footage is not clear whether Kay jumped or fell overboard.
We have reached out to her for a comment.
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22