FEARS are growing for the tourism sector in Spain after the country suffered a dramatic drop in visitors this summer.
It comes after the country received almost a million less holidaymakers than predicted this July, according to the Instituto Nacional de Estadistica (INE).
There was a 2.2% decrease in tourists from January to June and a 3.1% drop in overnight stays.
Some 82 million holidaymakers visited the country in 2017 – 42 million from Britain, France and Germany.
A sharp drop in visitor numbers in the first six months of 2018 has caused the government to fear a slowdown, stagnation or decline in tourism for the third quarter of the year, revealed an August 2018 report by national tourism body, Turespana.
The organisation predicts a 4.2% decline in the number of British tourists in Spain during this quarter, although they are expected to spend 5.3 percent more and will make up 1.9 percent more of overnight stays.
- Man arrested on Costa del Sol for robbing computer shop dressed as unicorn - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 13:46
- More frustrating setbacks in rescue of little Julen, 2, as desperate mission reaches NINTH day in Malaga - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 12:58
- Spain to invest €235 billion to tackle climate change over next decade - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 16:41
- Twins, 4, going blind set to see leading eye specialist in a bid to save sight but STILL need your help - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 16:23
- WHAT ABOUT US?: British expats on Costa del Sol slam UK government for ‘ignoring’ them in Brexit dealings - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Andalucia’s Cadiz makes The New York Times’ top holiday destination list - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 10:07
- Meet the British expat stars of Channel 5’s Costa del Sol hit show ‘Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun’ - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 11:00
- Caged ISIS terrorist was planning to bomb popular fair on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00