AN expat mum has been arrested after forcing her child to marry a man in Morocco.
The 31-year-old Moroccan was arrested on August 18 after taking her daughter, 16, to the north African country, where she forced her to marry a 28-year-old man.
The sick mum was rumbled after the minor went to the Policia Nacional station in Estepona – where the family lives – and reported how her parents forced her to marry the stranger in the town of Kenitra.
It is understood her parents had reached an ‘economic agreement’ with the man and even bribed a local authority to allow the wedding to take place.
When the child tried to resist the nuptials, her parents threatened to leave her in Morocco and forbid her from continuing with her studies in Estepona.
The mother has been arrested for alleged coercion and ‘crimes against family rights and duties.’
She has been released on bail.
The teenager is with child protection services.
- Is your home in Spain ready for the cold? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:30
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06