ONE person has died and at least 11 others are injured after scaffolding collapsed at the Ritz Hotel in Madrid.
A concrete deck in the iconic building, which is undergoing a multi million euro renovation, fell at around 4pm yesterday.
It dragged the scaffolding in the inner courtyard from the sixth floor to the first, taking workers with it.
Two people have been taken to hospital with serious injuries and a field hospital has been set up at the scene.
— Emergencias Madrid (@EmergenciasMad) September 18, 2018
All involved were working at the scene at the time and three had to be pulled from the rubble, reported AFP.
It comes as the 110-year-old Ritz is undergoing renovations believed to cost around €99 million and is set to reopen at the end of 2019. It has been closed since February.
- Why a ‘new’ British vegan milk has outraged Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 17:37
- Let’s talk mental health: Why teenage suicide in UK and Spain is on the rise and what parents can do to help - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain SLAMMED by US official for making ‘no effort’ to return Nazi-looted art from WW2 - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 13:00
- British government accused of not protecting expats and EU citizens’ rights as no-deal Brexit ‘still a possibility’ - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 14:07
- Desperate wife of British expat who mysteriously vanished from Costa del Sol FOUR days ago reveals more details as search continues - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 12:41
- Taxi driver who raped British tourist on Costa del Sol sentenced to seven years in prison - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 11:38
- MISSING: Fears for British expat who disappeared from Spain’s Costa del Sol two days ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 12:32
- BREAKING: Body found in search for missing British expat in Spain - 4 Dec, 2018 @ 14:35
- Spanish cave art reveals humans used stars to tell time 40,000 years ago - 2 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Mother arrested after 18-month-old baby found dead in apartment in Malaga - 1 Dec, 2018 @ 12:31