FINAL episodes of the late Anthony Bourdain’s eponymous Parts Unknown series are set to feature a trip to northern Spain.
The legendary celebrity chef was filming series 9 of the critically acclaimed food-travel show when he was found dead in a hotel room in France having tragically killed himself, aged 61.
Incredibly emotional and full of classic Bourdain no-nonsense humour, the colourful final six parts include an episode on Asturias, while the first – a tour to Kenya – premieres today.
Joined by Asturian chef and humanitarian Jose Andres, the pair hike to a remote village in the mountains to try a traditional fabada (bean stew), search ocean cliffs for rare percebes (gooseneck barnacles) and get lost in the region’s famous secret cheese caves.
The novelist and TV personality also tucks into a pitu de caleya (chicken stew) with local musician Pablo Und Destruktion and learns about Asturias’ last working class movement.
At last week’s Creative Arts Emmy Awards the show won six accolades, including Bourdain’s ‘long-coveted’ honour for an outstanding short form nonfiction or reality series – something he had been nominated for numerous times.
“It had always eluded him, the one he had always coveted, so it is with tremendous bittersweetness that I accept it on his behalf,” said producer Lydia Tenaglia at the ceremony.
The father-of-one had travelled to Spain and Catalunya multiple times, with an episode in Andalucia among critics’ favourites where he falls in love with Granada’s tapas, Alhambra and gitano culture during Semana Santa.
He said: “Any reasonable, sentient person who looks to Spain, comes to Spain, eats in Spain, drinks in Spain, they’re gonna fall in love. Otherwise, there’s something deeply wrong with you.”
- Why a ‘new’ British vegan milk has outraged Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 17:37
- Let’s talk mental health: Why teenage suicide in UK and Spain is on the rise and what parents can do to help - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Spain SLAMMED by US official for making ‘no effort’ to return Nazi-looted art from WW2 - 8 Dec, 2018 @ 13:00
- British government accused of not protecting expats and EU citizens’ rights as no-deal Brexit ‘still a possibility’ - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 14:07
- Desperate wife of British expat who mysteriously vanished from Costa del Sol FOUR days ago reveals more details as search continues - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 12:41
- Taxi driver who raped British tourist on Costa del Sol sentenced to seven years in prison - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 11:38
- MISSING: Fears for British expat who disappeared from Spain’s Costa del Sol two days ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 12:32
- BREAKING: Body found in search for missing British expat in Spain - 4 Dec, 2018 @ 14:35
- Spanish cave art reveals humans used stars to tell time 40,000 years ago - 2 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- Mother arrested after 18-month-old baby found dead in apartment in Malaga - 1 Dec, 2018 @ 12:31