GENERAL Franco’s granddaughter has been slapped with a €525,063 fine for failing to declare profits from the sale of shares in the family’s property business.
The Tax Agency claimed the Duchess of Franco, Carmen Martínez-Bordiú, 67, sold shares in FR Promociones del Suroeste S.A. on the same date in 2006 as receiving a donation from her mother Carmen Franco – who has since died.
According to the Spanish treasury, socialite Martínez-Bordiú received a donation of €9 million, but fraudulently claimed she had only received €6.7 million.
The former contestant on Spain’s Strictly Come Dancing hit back at the media and authorities, claiming ‘the statements made by the press are absolutely distorted and insidious.’
She said: “I would like to clarify that in my personal income tax return for 2006 and 2007, I declared all the capital gains obtained from the sale of shares and accepting bonuses.”
Martínez-Bordiú’s brother Francisco Franco, 64, runs the property business and is currently appealing against a 30-month prison sentence he received this year following a Guardia Civil chase where he rammed their car.
He also hit the headlines for defending his dictator grandfather, saying the exhumation of Franco’s remains from the Valley of the Fallen mausoleum near Madrid ‘would simply divide Spaniards even more.’
His sister’s bill from the treasury is a drop in the ocean of the Franco estate’s total value, thought to be worth over €500 million.
- Marbella mansion where One Direction made debut among top 10 most viewed properties this year - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 13:00
- WATCH: ‘Narco terrorists’ BOMB Marbella carwash and are then arrested in Sweden - 14 Dec, 2018 @ 14:17
- ORANGE ALERT: Balearics and Andalucia on standby for strong winds and rain tomorrow while snow predicted across Spain - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 15:15
- Body found in hunt for missing British tourist Nixon Smith who was mugged in Spain before missing flight home - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 11:34
- Specsavers and Plastic Free Seas charity join forces on Costa del Sol for mammoth beach clean up - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: Round-up of Costa del Sol’s best Christmas lights in 2018 - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:13
- BREXIT: British applications for Spanish citizenship soar 232% as Theresa May faces no-confidence vote - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:21
- Police free pregnant teen sold by parents for €8,000 to Romanian family in Spain’s Andalucia - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:50
- Kinahan mafia member who plunged to death from Marbella hotel balcony ‘took his own life’, police say - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 16:40
- REVEALED: Over half Spain’s 66 most dangerous bridges in Andalucia government says - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 15:03