THE search for the young boy still missing following Mallorca’s floods will be extended 14km out to sea today.
It comes after rescuers searching for eight-year-old Arthur Robinson found his rucksack yesterday.
Some 230 soldiers have been helping in the search, which has become a ‘top priority’.
The search has now ‘changed strategy’ and will use more ‘specialised techniques’, suggesting they are looking for a body.
Searchers found Arthur’s backpack in Cala Morlanda, leading them to believe he could have been dragged six kilometres downstream towards the sea.
Director of the search operation Joan Pol confirmed the backpack was that of Arthur’s and clarified that another one found on Thursday in Son Carrio was actually his sister Ursula’s.
She was miraculously saved by a German cyclist.
Their mother, Joana Literas, died in the worst floods to hit Mallorca for a century.
Hundreds flocked to the 40-year-old’s funeral in her hometown of Manacor yesterday.
The boy’s age was previously reported to be five but it is now believed to be eight, according to Spanish news agency EFE.
More to follow…
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15