AN almost 3,000-year-old secret winery buried in an Andalucian mountain is set to be transformed into a tourist centre.
What was once thought to be an ordinary hill covered in shrubs turned out to be hiding the oldest complete winery known in Western civilisation.
Nestled in the Sierra de San Cristobal, the bodega – measuring 2,000 square metres – is archaeological evidence of Phoenician winemaking in Andalucia.
Having found two wine presses, ovens to produce sweet wine and storage spaces with amphorae to preserve the drink, archaeologists believe the facilities produced wine in the 3rd century BC.
But since the discovery of the 2,300-year-old site in 1991, fears have grown over the preservation of the historical remains, with motocross fanatics using the area as a practice circuit.
Now, Ruiz Mata, the archaeologist who led the excavations, is calling on officials to preserve the site as a cultural information centre on historical wine-production techniques from the famous Sherry region, known today as Marco de Jerez.
He hopes the site will become a new destination in a network of archaeological sites open to the public.
“This is not just the history of my town, this is world history,” he said.
- Wanted British expat launches metal bench at police officer while being arrested for drug trafficking in Marbella - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- EXCLUSIVE: As Dani Garcia’s Michelin-starred restaurant shuts, top chef spills beans on what Michelin Guide really look for - 12 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- First day of Ryanair Spain strike CALLED OFF today - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 14:32
- TV show Bargain Loving Brits in the Sun returns to small screen this week with new Costa del Sol series - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 12:25
- Spanish government furious after PP party post video on Twitter ‘wishing’ Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez to die - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 13:54
- Thousands of Ryanair travellers could be left stranded as three-day strike in Spain starts TOMORROW - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 12:11
- Spain rescues more than 500 migrants over Three Kings weekend - 7 Jan, 2019 @ 11:25
- EXCLUSIVE: World’s first carnivore retreat is coming to Spain’s Andalucia - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- EXCLUSIVE: Seriously ill Brit spent Christmas and New Year locked up with terrorists in southern Spain and has STILL not been charged with crime - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 10:01
- Extreme-right party Vox ‘will not support’ Partido Popular and Ciudadanos in Andalucia government unless gender violence law revoked - 3 Jan, 2019 @ 18:55