SPAIN will not block any final Brexit deal over Gibraltar’s future, Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez confirms.
“Gibraltar will no longer be a problem in arriving at a Brexit deal,” said the Spanish leader at the EU leaders summit in Brussels last week, where he spoke with Britain’s Prime Minister Theresa May.
Sanchez added: “If we reach an agreement (soon), great. If not, it doesn’t matter because we’ve got time to reach one.”
This means that Gibraltar will leave the European Union on 29 March alongside the UK, although there are still a few issues to iron out as part of a deal before Brexit comes.
Yesterday the Rock’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo flew to London to meet with lords and clarify the agreement between Gibraltar and Spain on key issues like the tobacco trade and citizens’ rights.
Picardo said: “Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed,” but added that he feels ‘optimistic’ that a deal will be reached.
He is in the capital for ‘Gibraltar day’ today – a celebration of business and political links with the UK – and will appear in front of The House of Lords EU Committee tomorrow where he will give evidence in a meeting consulting on the final details of Brexit.
Picardo will also answer questions on his cooperation with Andalucia’s government and the Campo de Gibraltar region in order to serve the interests of cross-border workers and the communities on either side.
In the UK’s overall Brexit negotiations with the EU, a hard border in Ireland is thought to be the principal remaining sticking point.
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- Spain holiday hotspot in Canary Islands rocked by earthquake - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:33
- British Chamber of Commerce in Spain issues stark Brexit warning ahead of ‘Plan B’ unveiling on Monday - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 12:18
- UK Trade Secretary Liam Fox in Gibraltar for Brexit crunch talks hours after Theresa May survives no-confidence vote - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- WATCH: International fugitive who ‘shot man in belly with AK47’ arrested in family park on Costa del Sol - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- FLASH SALE: Ryanair offers €20 tickets to celebrate new route from Spain’s Malaga to Morocco - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 16:27
- Tunnels now being drilled to save little Julen trapped in well but rain forecasts could complicate rescue - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 15:40