POLICE in Gibraltar have seized £1.35 million worth of cannabis, following a dangerous high-speed sea chase in the early hours of yesterday morning.
Four drug traffickers led the Royal Gibraltar Police (RGP), HM Customs and Gibraltar Defence Police (GDP) on a wild goose chase off Europa Point.
The men sped around the Rock’s southernmost tip in their inflatable boat, powered by three Yamaha 350 HP outboard engines.
The RGP and GDP recovered nine bales of cannabis resin, with a street value of £1.35 million, after the gang dumped it in the sea and fled from Gibraltar’s territorial waters.
“I am delighted that local law enforcement agencies working in close collaboration were able to frustrate a drug trafficking operation of some magnitude,” said RG Police Commissioner Ian McGrail.
He added: “We will continue to work tirelessly to make life difficult for those who engage in illicit activity in surrounding waters and send a clear message to drug traffickers that we will be out there in numbers policing the area to thwart their criminal undertakings.”
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- Spain holiday hotspot in Canary Islands rocked by earthquake - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:33
- British Chamber of Commerce in Spain issues stark Brexit warning ahead of ‘Plan B’ unveiling on Monday - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 12:18
- UK Trade Secretary Liam Fox in Gibraltar for Brexit crunch talks hours after Theresa May survives no-confidence vote - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- WATCH: International fugitive who ‘shot man in belly with AK47’ arrested in family park on Costa del Sol - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- FLASH SALE: Ryanair offers €20 tickets to celebrate new route from Spain’s Malaga to Morocco - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 16:27
- Tunnels now being drilled to save little Julen trapped in well but rain forecasts could complicate rescue - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 15:40