HUNDREDS of piglets drowned at a farm in Teba during the Malaga floods, caused by the torrential rains on Sunday.
Two huge piles of dead piglets can be seen piled against a wall at the farm, in harrowing images posted on Facebook by the town’s Mayor Cristóbal Corral.
The animals drowned after the town of Teba, north of Marbella was hit by over 400 litres of rain per square metre in just 24 hours.
The Mayor payed tribute to the animals, calling the hundreds of deaths a ‘horror’ and a ‘catastrophe’.
He added: “This is one more example of the disaster that any farm can suffer.”
Corral attracted criticism with his comments however, as the animal rights group PACMA claimed he was only concerned about the monetary loss of the dead piglets.
?? ¡IMAGEN MUY DURA! ??
Lamentamos que la pérdida de vidas de animales ahogados no sean tenidas en cuenta por el alcalde de Teba (IU), que parece importarle más la repercusión económica que las pérdidas morales de la vida de los animales. Todas las vidas importan. pic.twitter.com/qKml54mtA8
— PACMA (@PartidoPACMA) October 24, 2018
They said the mayor ‘seems to care more about the economic impact than the moral losses of animal life’.
Cereals, feed, raw materials, machinery and enclosures are among the other farming infrastructure to be devastated in Teba and the surrounding area.
The Cooperatives Agro-alimentary of Malaga have put the total flood damage in Campillos and Teba at €1.5 million.
- UK Trade Secretary Liam Fox in Gibraltar for Brexit crunch talks hours after Theresa May survives no-confidence vote - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- WATCH: International fugitive who ‘shot man in belly with AK47’ arrested in family park on Costa del Sol - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- FLASH SALE: Ryanair offers €20 tickets to celebrate new route from Spain’s Malaga to Morocco - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 16:27
- Tunnels now being drilled to save little Julen trapped in well but rain forecasts could complicate rescue - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 15:40
- VOX number two reveals UK police STILL have search warrant for him after Spanish flag prank in Gibraltar - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Spanish comedian who blew nose on national flag set to have court case dropped - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Labour table no confidence vote in UK government as Theresa May loses Brexit deal vote by majority of 230 - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 21:20
- ‘OFF THE WALL’ UK Defence Secretary suggests firing paintballs at Spanish Navy to protect Gibraltar’s waters - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:02
- WATCH: Suspected ISIS terrorist led away by police as Costa del Sol Muslim leader condemns planned attack - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 16:46
- WATCH: Feminists camp outside Andalucian parliament to protest FAR-RIGHT support of new government - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47