HE is one of Spain’s best-selling novelists.
And Carlos Ruiz Zafon does not shy away from describing the horrors of war that took place under the Franco regime, as part of his so-called ‘Cemetery of Forgotten Books’ quartet.
This one though, is perhaps a little darker even than its predecessors.
While The Labyrinth of the Spirits can be read as a stand-alone novel it might be beneficial to have read at least The Shadow of the Wind first, as Zafón has created an intricately woven narrative bringing together characters introduced in previous books as well as new characters such as the seductive and enigmatic Alicia Gris.
As a child she survives the relentless bombing of Barcelona with both physical and emotional scars. As an adult she has worked for the secret police in Madrid for over a decade and is ready to leave but agrees to investigate one more case, the disappearance of Spain’s Culture Minister, Mauricio Valls.
With her partner, Juan Manuel Vargas, she discovers a book hidden in Valls’ office.
This discovery brings her back to Barcelona and into contact with Daniel Sempere, The Book Shop and The Cemetery of Forgotten Books.
Despite the 800-plus page count Zafón has crafted a fast-paced mystery that is sure to please devoted fans and excite new readers.
€19.50, Available from The Bookshop San Pedro – www.thebookshop.es
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06
- Rio Sport is at the very peak of ski technology in the Sierra Nevada - 1 Jan, 2019 @ 13:36