REAL Madrid have sacked their manager Julen Lopetegui tonight after his side were humiliated by Barcelona at Camp Nou yesterday.
Lopetegui parts ways with the club after just 14 matches, as Real Madrid currently sit 9th in the table, following one of the worst starts to the season in their history.
Just four and a half months into the job at the Bernabeu, the final nail in the coffin came for Lopetegui, as his side were thrashed 5-1 by Barcelona.
Since 1929, only one Real Madrid manager – Antonio Camacho in 2004 – has been at the helm for fewer games than Lopetegui.
With six wins, two draws, six losses and a goal difference of plus one it is no surprise that Lopetegui has been given the sack.
Ex-Chelsea boss Antonio Conte is in ‘advanced talks’ with Real Madrid to replace Lopetegui, while in the meantime Real Madrid will appoint Santiago Solari, coach of B team Castilla, as caretaker manager.
A club statement read: “The board considers there to be a large disparity between the quality within the Real Madrid squad, which boasts eight nominees for the next Ballon d’Or award – an unprecedented number in the club’s history – and the team’s results to date.”
It has not been a good year for Lopetegui, who was sacked from managing Spain’s national team, just before the World Cup in Russia began this year.
More to follow…
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- Spain holiday hotspot in Canary Islands rocked by earthquake - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:33
- British Chamber of Commerce in Spain issues stark Brexit warning ahead of ‘Plan B’ unveiling on Monday - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 12:18
- UK Trade Secretary Liam Fox in Gibraltar for Brexit crunch talks hours after Theresa May survives no-confidence vote - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- WATCH: International fugitive who ‘shot man in belly with AK47’ arrested in family park on Costa del Sol - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- FLASH SALE: Ryanair offers €20 tickets to celebrate new route from Spain’s Malaga to Morocco - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 16:27
- Tunnels now being drilled to save little Julen trapped in well but rain forecasts could complicate rescue - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 15:40
- VOX number two reveals UK police STILL have search warrant for him after Spanish flag prank in Gibraltar - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Spanish comedian who blew nose on national flag set to have court case dropped - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18