No.10 Peironcely Street in Vallecas, on the outskirts of Madrid, made it into history books thanks to a photograph Robert Capa took in the winter of 1936, in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War.
The candid picture shows three kids sitting on the pavement amid the rubble after the building was blasted by German bombs.
Now Madrid City Council is masterminding the neglected property’s renaissance with plans to buy it from its current owner and convert it into a cultural space dedicated to that historic era.
The new Capa Centre, to be christened after the award-winning Hungarian war photographer, will ‘recover a story that had been erased’, according to José Maria Uría of the trade unionist Fundación Anastasio de Gracia.
But the project faces one major hurdle: the need to relocate the 14 families who still live in the rundown property. “We obviously know that this is a historical place but, for us, it’s just where we live”, said Cristina Uquillas, one of the residents who lives with her mother and her two children.
Others see the change more positively, since the building is infested with rats and mosquitoes and vulnerable to extreme weather.
Madrid Council has defended the new protected status of the building, ‘not just for its status as an example of early 20th-century construction, but also because of its immaterial value and worth as a testimony of historical memory’.
- Is your home in Spain ready for the cold? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:30
- Travelling to Spain? Don’t forget about online safety - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- The gambling industry: Spain’s only economic hope? - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 12:00
- BREXIT: Ryanair gets new license to operate in UK in event of no deal - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- ENTIRE village in Spain on Gwyneth Paltrow’s Christmas wish list snapped up by EXPATS for just €150k - 13 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- Flu EPIDEMIC to rock Andalucia next week as illness spreads through Spain - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 14:57
- Tunf Separates the Good Casino Bonuses From the Bad - 10 Jan, 2019 @ 10:44
- Children receive the Magi in the Sierra Nevada - 6 Jan, 2019 @ 18:16
- MEASLES breakouts on rise in Spain and Europe as fewer get vaccinated - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Can Real Madrid still win the La Liga – Champions League double - 2 Jan, 2019 @ 10:06