YESTERDAY 17 migrants were killed in shipwrecks as they travelled from North Africa to Spain on wooden rafts.
One of the African migrants’ makeshift boats hit a reef near the Strait of Gibraltar and the other was located off the coast near Cadiz, the Spanish coast guard confirmed.
Authorities found two rafts and rescued over 100 other migrants within the space of 24 hours.
All victims are male, 13 of whom were killed near the Strait of Gibraltar, while the other four died near Cadiz.
The total death toll of migrants travelling to Spain now reaches 566, a UN Migration Agency report confirmed today, while the number of arrivals to Spain now stands at 49,013.
Spain is ‘the region’s most active destination point this year, with just under 50% of all 2018 arrivals,’ according to the migration watchdog’s publication.
So far this year, Europe has seen 100,630 migrant arrivals by sea, making 2018, the 5th straight year migrant and refugee landings have exceeded the 100,000 mark.
In total 1,989 migrants have died in 2018, as they attempt to make the crossing into mainland Europe.
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- Spain holiday hotspot in Canary Islands rocked by earthquake - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:33
- British Chamber of Commerce in Spain issues stark Brexit warning ahead of ‘Plan B’ unveiling on Monday - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 12:18
- UK Trade Secretary Liam Fox in Gibraltar for Brexit crunch talks hours after Theresa May survives no-confidence vote - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- WATCH: International fugitive who ‘shot man in belly with AK47’ arrested in family park on Costa del Sol - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- FLASH SALE: Ryanair offers €20 tickets to celebrate new route from Spain’s Malaga to Morocco - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 16:27
- Tunnels now being drilled to save little Julen trapped in well but rain forecasts could complicate rescue - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 15:40
- VOX number two reveals UK police STILL have search warrant for him after Spanish flag prank in Gibraltar - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Spanish comedian who blew nose on national flag set to have court case dropped - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Labour table no confidence vote in UK government as Theresa May loses Brexit deal vote by majority of 230 - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 21:20