THE animal rights group PACMA have condemned a decision by the Spanish government to award bullfighter Juan José Padilla €30,000.
Known as ‘the Pirate’, Padilla, 45, is being honoured for his 25 years of service to the sport with Spain’s National Bullfighting Award, granted by the Ministry of Culture and Sports.
But PACMA said Andalucia’s right-hand matador, who has been gored by bulls 39 times, is simply being awarded ‘for maltreating and killing animals for 25 years’.
Again the group called for the abolition of bullfighting, speaking of their ‘disgust’ at Padilla’s recognition, and calling his new honour the ‘Institutionalised Animal Abuse Award’.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Culture and Sports say Padilla ‘represents the recognition of values of bullfighting, such as effort, dedication and ability to excel, which are projected beyond the ring.’
This year saw Padilla’s retirement from bullfighting and the one-eyed matador is currently completing a farewell tour of the Americas, which began in Mexico.
Padilla, originally from Jerez de la Frontera, nearly lost his life in the bullring in 2011 when a bull ripped his eye out after the animal mauled him on the ground.
Seven years on and this year saw the veteran bullfighter nearly killed again, when a bull ‘scalped’ him in July, causing the fighter to receive 40 stitches to his head.
Padilla spoke recently of his career and said: “I am proud of having embarked on a hard, difficult profession, but at the same time it has given me a huge reward.”
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- Spain holiday hotspot in Canary Islands rocked by earthquake - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:33
- British Chamber of Commerce in Spain issues stark Brexit warning ahead of ‘Plan B’ unveiling on Monday - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 12:18
- UK Trade Secretary Liam Fox in Gibraltar for Brexit crunch talks hours after Theresa May survives no-confidence vote - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- WATCH: International fugitive who ‘shot man in belly with AK47’ arrested in family park on Costa del Sol - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- FLASH SALE: Ryanair offers €20 tickets to celebrate new route from Spain’s Malaga to Morocco - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 16:27
- Tunnels now being drilled to save little Julen trapped in well but rain forecasts could complicate rescue - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 15:40
- VOX number two reveals UK police STILL have search warrant for him after Spanish flag prank in Gibraltar - 17 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Spanish comedian who blew nose on national flag set to have court case dropped - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:18
- Labour table no confidence vote in UK government as Theresa May loses Brexit deal vote by majority of 230 - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 21:20