RUSSIA and Spain have agreed to form a joint cybersecurity group to prevent malicious information damaging relations between the two countries.
At a meeting in Madrid this week Spain’s foreign minister Josep Borrell thanked his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov for reaching the agreement.
Borrell claimed the new security group is being established because both countries are ‘worried about fake news’.
He added that both Russia and Spain want ‘to gauge the extent of the problem and analyse it to prevent it from becoming a source of friction’.
The Spanish foreign minister said he and Lavrov had discussed how ‘some Russian mass media go beyond the limits of their professional activity and create inadmissible interference in other countries issues.’
It comes as Facebook announced this week it has blocked 115 fake Facebook and Instagram accounts based in Russia.
There is still an ongoing probe into Russian state-led interference in the 2016 US election of Donald Trump where Russian president Vladimir Putin is believed to have organised a cyber campaign against Democrat candidate Hilary Clinton.
The two foreign ministers also used their meeting to criticise the sanctions against Iran, which they say have been imposed by Trump.
Borrell said he rejected ‘any kind of position that resembles an ultimatum from anyone and also from the United States’.
“This notion of ‘you’re either with me or against me’ is of another era,” he added.
Lavrov said: “Sanctions are absolutely illegitimate, they are are being imposed in flagrant violation of the UN Security Council’s decision.”
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- Spain holiday hotspot in Canary Islands rocked by earthquake - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:33