According to the Krembil Brain Institute, specific compounds created in the process of roasting coffee beans help stave off the debilitating diseases.
The Canada-based researchers looked into three different types of coffee – light roast, dark roast and decaffeinated dark roast.
Dr. Donald Weaver, the study’s lead author, said: “Coffee consumption does seem to have some correlation to a decreased risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
“But we wanted to investigate why that is – which compounds are involved and how they may impact age-related cognitive decline.”
He added: “The caffeinated and de-caffeinated dark roast both had identical potencies in our initial experimental tests. So we observed early on that its protective effect could not be due to caffeine.”
The researchers then identified a group of compounds known as phenylindanes, which are created during the roasting process.
Phenylindanes are the only compound investigated in the study that inhibit beta amyloid and tau, two protein fragments common in Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, from clumping.
As roasting leads to higher quantities of phenylindanes, dark roasted coffee appears to be more protective than light roasted coffee.
“It’s the first time anybody’s investigated how phenylindanes interact with the proteins that are responsible for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s,” added Weaver.
“The next step would be to investigate how beneficial these compounds are, and whether they have the ability to enter the bloodstream, or cross the blood-brain barrier.”
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23