A YOUTH faces possible manslaughter charges after he hit a 90-year-old woman with his electric scooter in northern Spain.
The woman, who was out for a stroll in Esplugues de Llobregat, Barcelona in August, becomes Spain’s first pedestrian death by an electric scooter.
Sources told El Pais that the rider was using the Google Maps app on his phone when he hit the woman, travelling at 30 km/h.
The fatal accident occurred on a pedestrianised section of the Rambla del Carme thoroughfare of the city.
After the woman fell down and hit her head on the pavement she was rushed to the Moisès Broggi Hospital in a critical condition, where she died days later.
Manoli, the manager of an upholstery shop on the street where she died, said:”She was always going up and down with her walker. She was very well-known.”
Last month Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska, said the criminal code would be reformed to sort out the conflict between pedestrians and scooter users.
- British teen makes history in Spain’s Andalucia by being first girl to finish under par in prestigious tournament - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 17:00
- Marbella mansion where One Direction made debut among top 10 most viewed properties this year - 16 Dec, 2018 @ 13:00
- WATCH: ‘Narco terrorists’ BOMB Marbella carwash and are then arrested in Sweden - 14 Dec, 2018 @ 14:17
- ORANGE ALERT: Balearics and Andalucia on standby for strong winds and rain tomorrow while snow predicted across Spain - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 15:15
- Body found in hunt for missing British tourist Nixon Smith who was mugged in Spain before missing flight home - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 11:34
- Specsavers and Plastic Free Seas charity join forces on Costa del Sol for mammoth beach clean up - 13 Dec, 2018 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: Round-up of Costa del Sol’s best Christmas lights in 2018 - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:13
- BREXIT: British applications for Spanish citizenship soar 232% as Theresa May faces no-confidence vote - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:21
- Police free pregnant teen sold by parents for €8,000 to Romanian family in Spain’s Andalucia - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:50
- Kinahan mafia member who plunged to death from Marbella hotel balcony ‘took his own life’, police say - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 16:40