A CIVIL servant who ran a multi-million euro drug empire in southern Spain has been arrested with 56 others.
Operation Albarraxín also led police to seize 10 tonnes of Moroccan hashish and €3.3 million in goods.
The gang led by the City Hall worker, imported 62 tonnes of hash a year to Spain’s Costa del Sol.
Guardia Civil agents first noticed the ‘very active’ gang in August, who employed speed boat captains to traffick drugs across the Strait of Gibraltar .
Police found drugs hidden in Manilva, Casares, San Enrique de Guadiaro, Tesorillo, Estepona, Tarifa and San Roque.
These areas were waiting points, from which the gang would distribute the drugs across Europe.
After the month-operation by police a judge investigating the case has sent half of the men to prison.
“It is one of the most important criminal organisations dedicated to drug trafficking between North Africa and Europe through the coast of Andalusia,” a police spokesperson said.
Documents seized by police are being analysed by specialists, who are investigating another division of the gang for money laundering.
A source close to the investigation told El Pais: “What’s important is that everything has been dismantled, although the investigation into money laundering continues.”
- British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley answers all your Brexit questions in Facebook live Q & A next week - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 15:01
- UK Foreign Office updates website to say terrorists ‘very likely to carry out attacks in Spain’ - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:23
- ‘EXTREME RISK’: Balearic Islands to be hit by 8-metre waves tomorrow while orange warnings in place on Costa del Sol - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 13:52
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00