OVER half of Spain’s 66 bridges with ‘serious safety problems’ are in Andalucia, government data has revealed.
The 66 bridges represent 0.29% of the 23,000 structures managed by the state, including underpasses, overpasses and viaducts.
Bridges’ safety are scored out of 100 and those that receive 81 or more points are described as having ‘potentially serious defects that could affect their resistant behaviour’.
Andalucia has 34 bridges in this category, followed by Galicia with 10 and Castilla y León with nine.
Of the total, 17 bridges have been repaired, while one has been torn down, as it was located on a B-road and no longer needed.
The investigation into Spain’s bridges by El Pais found that between 2009 and 2014, no money was spent on repairs.
Between 2014 and October of this year the government spent €116 million on structures that ‘represented a serious danger’.
A Public Works Ministry spokesperson said that most structures had recently undergone repairs and none were in danger of collapse.
A database called ‘Bridge Management System’, which details inspections, problems and corrective measures was shown to El Pais.
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56