A COSTA del Sol beach clean up is set to take place this weekend in a bid to tackle the growing problem of plastic waste across the coast.
Plastic Free Seas Worldwide, a Costa del Sol-based charity which runs the monthly beach clean programme, will tackle the shores of Fuengirola on Saturday December 15.
The NGO is calling on volunteers to take part in its final event of the year, in collaboration with Fuengirola town hall.
Co-founders Craig Webb and Natasha Wegloop, said: “Let’s make this final beach clean up of the year our best yet!
“Bring the kids, bring the dog and help us to reach our target of collecting 400kg of plastic from Fuengirola’s beaches.”
New sponsor, Specsavers Opticas Fuengirola has committed to supporting the charity for 2019 and aim to collect 400kg of plastic in just a few hours on Saturday.
It comes after the opticians swapped plastic bags for paper across eight of its Spanish stores – a change which will stop around 7,000 being produced and distributed.
Specsavers Opticas also has an eco range of glasses, with each frame being constructed from recycled or biodegradable acetate in order to have less impact on the environment.
Volunteers will meet at Restaurant Alarcon in Fuengirola at 2.30pm.
Bags are supplied to collect the rubbish but if possible, volunteers are asked to bring gloves with them to reduce the use of plastic at the event.
For more information call 685 283 009 or find Plastic Free Seas on Facebook @plasticfreeseas or visit www.specsavers.es
- British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley answers all your Brexit questions in Facebook live Q & A next week - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 15:01
- UK Foreign Office updates website to say terrorists ‘very likely to carry out attacks in Spain’ - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:23
- ‘EXTREME RISK’: Balearic Islands to be hit by 8-metre waves tomorrow while orange warnings in place on Costa del Sol - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 13:52
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00