A GANG of youths are ‘cloning’ car keys to rob vehicles on the Costa del Sol.
Expat Dave Gosley, 61, has sounded the alarm after he had €2,500 worth of speakers and equipment stolen from his van, despite NO signs of a break in.
The entertainer claims various neighbours have also had equipment and valuables stolen from their cars in Calahonda Park, in Mijas.
“This is the third such incident in my urbanisation,” singer Gosley told the Olive Press.
“One builder woke up to find thousands of euros of tools stolen from his van.”
The robbers are believed to be using key fob cloners that receive a radio frequency as you unlock your car.
They then encode that frequency into another fob – gaining access to your vehicle at a time to suit them.
“It means they are watching and monitoring their targets, it’s really unsettling,” added Gosley, from Basingstoke.”
He claimed the thieves can stand by roundabouts where you pass slowly, or in superstore car parks where they can roam the frequencies at will.
“Another neighbour was ‘blipped’ and the doors locked as she passed a group of young men, one who pointed his arm at the car.”
A quick search on eBay reveals that such cloners are available at the click of a button.
For up to just €70, anyone can buy the small gadgets which can clone practically any wireless key.
Shipped from China, products like the ‘Duplicator Copier Writer Programmer’ even come with a selection of key fobs to create the new keys which, in some cases, will be used to rob cars.
“Do not leave anything valuable in your car or van, especially over the Christmas period,” added Gosley.
Police in Mijas did not respond to the Olive Press.
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22