FLIGHTS from Spain to London Gatwick are being cancelled today after a spate of drone sightings at the major UK airport.
British expats flying home for Christmas have now had to rebook or fork out potentially hundreds for another flight after airport bosses in London closed down Gatwick’s runway.
It came after drones were spotted flying over the airfield late last night.
The runway was shut immediately but was reopened at 3.01am British time before closing AGAIN when another drone was spotted.
One British expat, flying on an 11.20am Norwegian flight from Malaga to London received a notification telling her her flight was cancelled this morning.
“This is ridiculous, thousands of people affected by a bunch of drones,” she told the Olive Press, “most of us are trying to fly home for Christmas and after buying all our presents the last thing we need is having to fork out for another flight.”
At least one drone is STILL flying over London Gatwick, the airport boss has announced.
More to follow…
Has your flight home been cancelled or affected today? Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
- WATCH: Aircraft and dozens of firefighters called to huge forest fire in Spain’s Andalucia - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:48
- Direct Malaga to NEW YORK flights available from May 2019 - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 18:20
- Expats pay tribute to Marbella businessman ‘linked to TOWIE stars and Mohamed Al-Fayed’ after he was brutally gunned down on doorstep - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 14:03
- Marbella shooting victim identified as high profile Costa del Sol businessman behind Linekers - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:30
- WARNING: Orange alerts for SNOW, wind and strong waves across Spain and Andalucia this week - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 14:59
- Expat appears in court after shooting and killing boy, 4, during hunt in Spain’s Andalucia - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:45
- Man shot to death inside his Bentley on Spain’s Costa del Sol in latest mafia hit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 11:26
- Malaga law firm secures regulation from the Ministry of Justice after winning more than €1 million back from timeshare giants last year - 20 Jan, 2019 @ 18:22
- What do King Solomon, Andalucia’s Rio Tinto mines, NASA and Mars have in common? - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:44
- HAPPY RETURN: How British expats in Spain can plan for retirement back in Britain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:44