MOROCCAN authorities have detained a Swiss-Spanish national in connection with the brutal killing of two Scandinavian backpackers.
Maren Ueland, 28 from Norway and Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24 from Denmark were slaughtered while camping in the Atlas Mountains.
Counter-terrorism officers in the north African country claim the man taught social media and archery skills to some other suspects arrested in connection with the killings.
The women’s corpses were located on December 17 and police currently believe the killers are affiliated to Islamic State (IS).
So far 20 men have been arrested in the investigation into the killing, which took place near to the tourist village of Imlil.
Four of those men arrested are main suspects, all of whom pledged allegiance to IS just three days before the double killing occurred.
Hundred’s from Maren’s hometown of Bryne held a candlelit vigil for her last week, including many family and friends.
“We want to show that we care about each other, and that we are together for a kinder world,” said Odd Ivar Nese, one of those who organised the event, the Mail reported.
- UK Foreign Office updates website to say terrorists ‘very likely to carry out attacks in Spain’ - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:23
- ‘EXTREME RISK’: Balearic Islands to be hit by 8-metre waves tomorrow while orange warnings in place on Costa del Sol - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 13:52
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30