A WOMAN in Malaga has cheated death after her curtain stopped a bullet in a New Year’s Day gun battle.
Paquita, a 79-year-old widow, was watching the musical Grease when a bullet shot through the window of her sixth floor flat on Olletas Street on January 1.
Police informed the elderly La Palmilla resident that she was sitting in the direct path the bullet would have taken after she made the emergency call at 5:15pm along with other neighbours.
Cops believe two shootings took place in 24 hours, with events thought to have begun in Eume Street before moving to the Plaza de los Verdiales near Paquita’s house.
Over 50 bullet casings from different weapons were found in northern Malaga, with a sub-machine gun suspected to have been used.
Before Paquita’s house was hit by the bullet, which travelled 1km, police were responding to another gun fight at around 2:00am.
Paquita also said: “I told my neighbour that it was a shot, and she replied: ‘Paquita, you have seen too many movies’.”
After around six officers initially responded to the incident, investigations led authorities to also discover a hidden cannabis plant at a neighbouring address.
No one is believed to have been injured in the firefights.
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56