AMAZON workers at their Madrid warehouse have gone on strike ahead of the Three Kings Day.
Staff walked out yesterday as part of a long campaign for better pay and conditions, before one of the biggest days of the Spanish national calendar on January 6.
UGT and CCOO are the unions who have called the strikes, which are likely to affect presents being delivered from Amazon’s biggest warehouse in Spain.
CCOO spokesman Douglas Harper revealed that 70% of staff at the warehouse had joined the strike.
“We have been protesting for a year,” Amazon worker David Matarraz told Reuters in Madrid.
“This is the richest company in the world and they want to keep profiting by taking away workers’ rights.”
Amazon staff in Poland and Germany are also striking, in the most recent protests against the multinational company since the Black Friday walkouts.
Meanwhile Spanish families are set to attend parades or Cavalcades on January 6, where sweets and presents are hurled into the crowds.
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56