The Chief Minister said a pre-Brexit election would be ‘irresponsible’, despite the ‘potential partisan advantage’ in doing so.
Despite a recent Panorama poll putting Picardo and the GSLP ahead, the Rock’s leader batted down calls for an early general election.
In an interview with the Gibraltar Chronicle he also said he would not rule out a second referendum, but admitted Gibraltar would cooperate with the UK government.
He said: “As long as that [Brexit] is not extended after March, I can rule out the possibility of an election before the 29th of March this year.”
Acknowledging his party’s advantageous position, he admitted it was more important to make preparations for the potential ‘context of a hard Brexit’.
Picardo’s comments come against a backdrop of Brexit turmoil in the UK, where Theresa May faces a Commons vote on her Brexit deal next week.
The Prime Minister is expected to lose the vote on her Withdrawal Agreement set to be held in Parliament on January 15.
Meanwhile she has said this week that she is seeking further assurances from the European Union in a bid to gain support for her Brexit deal.
But Labour have accused May and some ministers of trying to ‘run down the clock’ to try and get the UK to accept a bad deal.
May will be boosted by the support of Picardo however, who has been one of the consistent supporters in her Brexit negotiations.
Picardo said: “It is safer for Gibraltar to remain [in the EU], but if the UK is fixed on leaving, our role must be to ensure the protection for Gibraltar in the context of that leaving.”
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HUGE drill scrambled from Madrid motorway to save little Julen trapped in well in Spain for over 100 hours - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 19:30
- Death toll rises to 12 in Spain’s Canary islands as flu outbreak reaches EPIDEMIC levels - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 17:29
- Everything you need to know about the super wolf blood moon in Spain that could ‘end the world’ THIS WEEKEND - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:56
- Spain holiday hotspot in Canary Islands rocked by earthquake - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:33