MISSING German Shepherd Murph has been found dead after a huge search effort in Rio Grande.
British expat Hayley Coulby lost her dog over Christmas when he was attacked by a pack of strays on a walk.
But Murph was confirmed dead on Sunday afternoon when his body was found by volunteers who had set off from the BP garage in the morning.
It is unclear how Hayley’s four-legged friend died, but he was thought to have been dead for some time.
The family, which includes Hayley’s four-year-old daughter and Murph’s canine companion Misty, have released a statement praising their ‘beautiful boy’.
“I would like to thank each and every one of you who shared the posts, liked the page, handed out leaflets, stuck up posters, messaged me and supported me while searching for Murph,” said Hayley on the ‘Missing Murph’ Facebook page.
“Run free and wait for us, for one day we shall meet again”
“Today, we found our baby boy, but unfortunately he is no longer with us.
“Our hearts are broken into a million pieces, but we are honoured to have been his family for the past 6 years.”
Murph went missing on December 29 in Coin, and Hayley flew straight back from the UK, searching for him every day from 6:00am to 8:00pm.
She said: “Run free our gorgeous, happy, beautiful boy, we love you so very much and you will be missed more than you’ll ever know.
“Run free and wait for us, for one day we shall meet again.”
- British Ambassador to Spain Simon Manley answers all your Brexit questions in Facebook live Q & A next week - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 15:01
- UK Foreign Office updates website to say terrorists ‘very likely to carry out attacks in Spain’ - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 14:23
- ‘EXTREME RISK’: Balearic Islands to be hit by 8-metre waves tomorrow while orange warnings in place on Costa del Sol - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 13:52
- DOUBLE TROUBLE: Ronaldo gets 23-month jail sentence and €18.8m fine for tax evasion in Spain as Alonso maintains innocence - 23 Jan, 2019 @ 12:34
- DON’T JUDGE: ‘Fake lawyer’ on Costa del Sol arrested after she charged clients €2000 a minute - 22 Jan, 2019 @ 17:22
- IS IT A BIRD? Gibraltar introduces helicopter sightseeing tours in 2019 with Norwegian firm Fonnafly - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 18:37
- Spain and UK sign landmark deal mutually protecting voting rights after Brexit - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 15:36
- RED FLAG: British expat bar owner in southern Spain faces huge fine for refusing to take down Union Jack - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 13:56
- WATCH: Police SMASH one of Europe’s largest cocaine labs run from luxury Costa del Sol villa - 21 Jan, 2019 @ 12:41
- UK and Irish investors claim €35 million for ‘ghost developments’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol that were never built - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00