EXCLUSIVE By Wendy Williams
A BRITISH businesswoman has vanished after allegedly taking thousands from an English couple to furnish their home.
Margaret Corley, who lived in Marbella, was contracted by property developers Peninsula to furnish apartments at a golf resort in Atarfe, near Granada.
But after being handed thousands of euros for furniture at the Medina Elvira golf scheme she disappeared, leaving a string of victims out of pocket.
One victim Lesley Howard, 55, who lives near Manchester, ended up losing 16,200 euros.
She told the Olive Press: “My husband Frank and I transferred 16,200 euros to her company Royal Peninsula Vacations in 2008 as Corley was setting up and running the rentals.”
But after chasing Corley and the company for updates for nearly a year they eventually discovered that neither she nor her company worked for the developers any longer.
“It was only in March 2010 that they told us Corte Ingles had only received 3,800 euros for our furniture package.
“They said the rest had gone missing with Margaret.”
The couple, who have since filed a report with police, are desperately trying to track down Corley, who they insist has left ‘numerous other victims’.
They have since had to shell out a further 7,700 euros to get their apartment furnished.
The Olive Press tried repeatedly to speak to director Gaspar Lino at the developers Peninsula, but were unable to get an answer.
Its current sales and marketing manager Steve Hindley said: “I can’t comment on this, you have to speak to the director.”
A former sales director of Peninsula Sharon Hitchcock however, confirmed that Corley had disappeared with a lot of money.
She said: “We tried very hard to find her but were unsuccessful. I am not sure if she is even still in Spain.
“We did our best to get the furniture but a lot of people simply had to pay again, it was terrible.”
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02