PUNK legend Joe Strummer has had a square named after him following a campaign by local residents.
More than 2,000 residents of Granada, where The Clash front man became a frequent visitor, signed a petition calling for him to be honoured.
The singer’s widow, Lucinda, and daugther, Lola, unveiled the Plaza de Joe Strummer at a ceremony last week.
Strummer, who name-checked the city in The Clash’s London Calling album track Spanish Bombs, died of a heart attack at the age of 50 in 2002.
The Olive Press first reported the story in 2011 and joined scores of fans and city leaders in Granada in the campaign to honour the musician.
The local hero first went to the city in the 1970s with Spanish girlfriend, and drummer of the Slits, Paloma Romero.
He later had a home in Cabo de Gata in Almeria and became involved in local group, 091.
Daniel Galan from Granada City Council said: “The initiative came from a neighbourhood association, backed by some political parties and was approved.
“It was a popular movement. It is very well known the connection between Joe and the city and people still remember him.”
He added: “He loved Granada, he loved the whole of Spain but he had a very good connection with Granada because he was friends with 091.”
The city of Granada has since been a melting pot of alternative music, with hundreds of local bands citing 091 and Strummer as influences.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00