THE CHANCE to be a radio presenter for a day, a wedding dress, and golf tours galore were all up for grabs at Talk Radio Europe’s annual telethon yesterday.
The fundraiser saw hundreds of listeners calling up during the 9-hour marathon stint, from 10am to 7pm, to bid on a huge range of items and experiences, leading to several nail-biting bidding wars.
Hosted by some of TRE’s most famous voices – including Bill Padley, Dave Hodgson and The Olive Press’ own Giles Brown – all the funds raised by the event go to the Cudeca Hospice, a cancer care hospice in Benalmadena.
Steph Miller, TRE’s executive producer and PR manager, said: “It’s such a good way to fundraise because it doesn’t cost anything. It’s just us working and the generosity of the people who phone in. All the money we raise can go directly to Cudeca.”
“We all work incredibly hard to make sure the telethon’s a success, but if it wasn’t for the wonderful people who call in and bid then we wouldn’t have anything. You need the whole package to make the fundraising work so well,” she added.
The Cudeca Hospice has offered home care and support services to more than 8,000 patients with advanced cancer since 1992.
All the services provided by Cudeca are completely free, made possible by the 200 volunteers who support the charity and by fundraising events like TRE’s telethon.
Stay tuned to find out how much TRE and its listeners managed to raise.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33