A ONE-EYED boxing coach on the Costa del Sol has admitted in court he met a criminal gang while they were on the run for murder, but denies he helped them evade justice.
Marvin Herbert, who owns a boxing gym in Estepona, told Manchester Crown Court that he met Dale Cregan – killer of two police officers – and his two accomplices in Herne Bay, Kent, in August 2012.
But he stated he refused to help them out, denying the allegation that he arranged for them to stay in the home of a man who still owed him a ‘significant debt’ from his own criminal past.
All three men were arrested within a month of the alleged meeting and sentenced for murder in June last year.
Herbert claims to have renounced his criminal lifestyle since he nearly lost his life in 2008 when he was shot five times on the Costa del Sol by a member of a British drugs gang.
This came after serving a five and a half year jail term in 2003 following 21 convictions for 76 offences, beginning when he was just 13.
He now cares for his five children as well as organising charity events at his boxing gym, with guests including Graeme Souness and Frank Warren.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44